Thursday, March 17, 2011

Old Miniatures Part 4 and Richard III Billmen

Well I have managed to complete some old Foundry bowmen I had stashed away. I have painted them up as levy archers with sympathies lying towards Henry Tudor. They have taken longer to paint than I expected, too many individuals! But I am reasonably pleased with the end result.

Here is my first stand of miniatures for my Bosworth Project. I am using orbats published by Terry Gore (Saga Publishing) for my Bosworth project. For Richard III's contingent I'll need to build and paint two more bases like the one shown below. I will need to complete the basing but I will do this at a later stage when I have more of the army completed.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Old Miniatures...Part 3

I have had the opportunity to do a little more work on the old miniatures I found in my lead pile. They are mostly Foundry miniatures, so they'll blend in well with the Perry miniatures. They are not taking to long to 'spruce up' either.

Monday, March 7, 2011

More Reading Material

I have just finished reading on the texts I bought recently on, The War of the Roses by Trevor Royle. The first half of the text discussed life in England prior to 1455. The story begins with Richard II before moving onto Henry IV and Henry V. It is during the times of these three kings that the seeds of disruption are sown. Had Henry VI been older (much older) when he ascended the throne then the story would have been very different.

I have two more books coming my way, Richard III and the Bosworth campaign by Peter Hammond and The Red Rose and the White: The War of the Roses 1455 - 1487 by John Sadler. Both of these books are more geared to the military campaigns fought during this 'First English Civil war.' I am about to start Lancaster and York by Alison Weir.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

War of the Roses Update

Well I have nearly finished the first batch of Perry miniatures. I have completed painting three men at arms and seven bowmen. The bowmen have been painted with a blue and murrey livery. Unfortunatley for these archers their livery colours are the wrong way round! We'll excute the tailor later.

I used the Foundry paint system to paint these models. I used Deep Blue (20A/B/C) and for the murrey I used Deep Maroon (64A/B/C). I wanted to distinguish between red and the murrey, hence why I have gone for the deep maroon colour.

I am also not sure about the finish on the bows - I may change this at a later date. I hope the phjotos are okay. I will hae to remedy the photographing when I finally settle into a new house...sometime in the future.
As for the bases I have used bestial brown (Citadel colour) as a basecoat and then applied Army Painter scatter (Brown Battlefields) before adding some static grass, a mix of scorched grass and winter dead grass (both Citadel products). I have finally added a touch of the Army Painter Snow. At the moment I am only applying the snow to the skirmish models. When I eventually get round to paint the full armies I may leave the snow off their bases as most campainging was conducted in the summer months.